Update March 22, 2020
Sunday, March 22, 2020 by Angela Sommer | Uncategorized
Dear parents and students
I hope you are all keeping well.This is unprecedented and we all are adjusting to a new ‘normal’ for now.Music is something that makes us happy and keeps us going through dark times in our lives.
If you have scheduled a lesson this week we need to talk about how to go about it by Tuesday, March 24, 2020. I will have to create backing tracks for the singers before the session. :)
I will continue to offer music instruction for children and adults as I believe it will give children some sense of normalcy with school and many other activities being cancelled.
I am adapting my studio to work in the current situation:
- I am switching my studio to 100% online using existing platforms such as Zoom, Facetime and Skype or in the long-run VoiceLessons.com.There may be others but three of them are integrated into my scheduling program called MyMusicstaff.I will not be offering in-person sessions until the crisis has passed.
- I am switching to hourly rates only for everyone taking lessons. The rate is $46 per hour, pro-rated for 30 or 45 minute lessons.
- I will need to set up a new schedule for any lessons going forward from this point.
- I need confirmation from each of you to either continue and give me a time slot that will work or a cancellation notice of lessons for you or your children.
- Cariboo Festival:We are looking into doing the festival in a completely safe manner and are working with the adjudicators on the details.We are trying hard.
- After our planned move this summer, I will have to offer this for all Williams Lake students anyways, plus some in-person trips once we can do that again.We are just 4 months ahead of schedule now.
Requirements for online lessons:
- Students will need a cell phone, a tablet or ipad, a computer with a webcam or a laptop. Any device that you already have will work.We will need some adjustment time for sure to get everything set up and working properly, but I have done many online lessons before and we can do this. If you are worried about the set-up ask your child.They KNOW how to do all this stuff. 😊
Set up the device so I can see the student and their hands.They will get the same view from me.I might need a picture of the pieces they are playing since I don’t have an original copy of all their pieces due to edition changes in their books.The audio from their device is sufficient to run an online lesson.
Set up the device so I can see the student from the front and they will see my face on their screen.Vocal students will have to learn to sing with backing tracks which I will record for them and send to you.It is preferred that there is a second device that plays the backing track rather than do the video and playback of a track on the same machine.New songs are learned in sing back style or via a recording either from me or a good source available on Youtube.It is a bit like learning to sing Karaoke.Because of the time lag using online platforms, I can not live accompany students for their pieces.There is an American company that is working on that and I may use their platform once I have enough students online.That would mean I pay for the subscription and everyone in the studio has free access.
Once I have a schedule I will send our further instructions to make this work.Students will have to be at the appointed lesson time on-time. More to come.
All we can do is hang it there for the time
Virtual hugs and greetings to all of you