Studio Policies 2022:
Please read carefully as these policies state how my studio and teaching time is structured.
There are lessons on all Pro-D days throughout the year
No lessons on statutory holidays
No regular lessons during:
Winter Vacation (closed)
Spring Break (festival and exam prep sessions only)
Summer Holidays (lessons on demand only)
Goals and Expectations:
My goals for the year are:
- To encourage everyone to develop life-long skills and see individual improvement and growth through music
- To encourage everyone to keep going no matter what this year may bring. Do Not Give Up ♥♥♥
My expectations are:
- For everyone to try: Try to practice, try to learn the new skills, try to participate in performances. There is no failure. I don’t give grades. I don’t keep score on how many mistakes somebody makes. I want everyone to try and grow in their abilities.
My music teachers encouraged and supported me and taught me important life skills. It was my personal choice much later in life to make music into a career. Every student is different, but everyone will learn something if they try.
Performances and Exams:
My main objective for a performance is to help students develop life skills! We all need to deal with the pressure, nerves, the public and the ups and downs of being in the spotlight every once in a while. This skill is transferable to many other situations. Again, I’d like to see students try!!
I offer the option of taking music exams in voice, piano and theory through the Conservatory Canada and the Royal Conservatory of Canada Curriculum. Both programs have different options for the exam path.
The Cariboo, Kamloops, Kelowna and Shushwap Music Festivals as well as the Vernon Registered Music Teachers' Music Festival offer opportunities for students to perform and compete and to work towards a goal. I encourage students to participate but will never pressure anyone into doing so.
Invoicing and payment:
Invoices are emailed at the end of each teaching month and payment is due in full upon receipt of the invoice. I charge hourly only and the rate is staying at $50 per hour.
I accept cash, cheques, e-transfers, paypal and credit card payments.
There is an option to set up auto-payment through the student portal if you chose to do so.
- 3 ring binder with lined paper for instructions and homework assignments, pencil and eraser
Or Sign into the student portal for online notes which can be viewed on a computer, tablet or smartphone
- Online lessons may require additional equipment such as a device to play backing tracks for singing
- Music Books, recordings, practice tracks
- Participation in Festivals and Exams
- Accompanist charges for singers or instrumentalists at festivals and exams
- Canadian copyright laws require that all music used in the studio is legal; that means you have to purchase a copy of music for yourself or your child. We can not participate in any official performances with copied music.
Cancellation notice is 24 hours. There will be a regular charge for insufficient notice. I do not charge in case of emergencies or sickness. Please call, text or e-mail me and let me know.
Termination of Lessons:
Termination of lessons requires ONE month notice, or payment of ONE monthly fee.
Students are expected to practice. The more time is spent practicing the greater the improvement. I will explain to each student how to practice during the lessons. Parents may need to help younger students.
- Please be ready for the lesson 5 minutes early so we can start on time. Come in when you get to the studio as I am often in another lesson and can not come to the door. The door will be open.
- Parents are welcome to sit in on their younger child’s lessons.
If the student is sick, please do not come to the lesson. Online sessions can be easily arranged. If I am sick, I will offer online sessions or cancel. There is NO CHARGE for cancellations because of sickness.
I enter students in competitions and organize recitals and performances. Pictures can be taken according to the event rules only.
I do post pictures on my website, Facebook, Instagram and Linkedin occasionally and I am asking permission from you to do so.
I am very careful what I post, but it is social media.
I do not give out private information.
Please let me know if you DO NOT want your child's picture on Social Media
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I am looking forward to a musical year.