Music lessons 2019/2020
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 by Angela Sommer | Uncategorized
August 28, 2019
Welcome back to Music Lessons
Dear Parents and Students
Welcome back to the 2019 / 2020 school year and music lessons.
You are receiving this email because you signed up for lessons and already have a lesson spot or you are on my waiting list for a lesson spot or you were part of one of the singing groups last year.
Music Lessons are scheduled to start up again on September 9th, 2019.
I am asking that you would please let me know if there are any changes in your plans for music lessons for the fall whether you are registered to take lessons or you are on my waiting list. If you have already requested a different lesson spot I will contact you as times become available.
NOTE: We are in the process of selling our house to down size. I will update on this as soon as I know more. 🙂
If you are planning to keep your lesson time as it is, I will see you at your first lesson during the week of September 9th.
You can log into my calendar to check on your times and days. If you can't log in please let me know and I can re-set your password / login for you or send you the times via email or text.
If you are on the waiting list and you decide to stay on it you will receive a call when lesson times become available. Please do also check the group sessions below as they can be a great way to get started while you wait.
I have attached my studio policies to this email. Please read as they explain how my lessons are structured.
In addition to private lessons, I also offer group singing lessons for children, teens and women. Please see the schedule below for the groups that are offered. I am very happy to move children to the older group if they are able to participate with teens up to 17 years of age.
Group Lessons at St. Peter’s Anglican Church starting October 3rd and 4th, 2019
- Angelkeys Children’s Choir Ages 3 – 9 Fridays 5:15 – 5:45 pm free thanks to Grant received
- Coda! Teen Vocal Group Ages 10 -17 Thursdays 6:30 – 7:15 pm free thanks to Grant received
- Just for Fun Ladies’ Vocal Group Ages 17+ Thursdays 7:30 – 9 pm, sponsored by the Women's Contact Society, free for participants
Weekly Lessons at my Studio in 150 Mile House: billed hourly
Rate is $23, $34.50, and $46 for 30, 45 and 60 minute weekly lessons.
Weekly Lessons at the Anglican Church in Williams Lake: (Based on 10 Months or 31 lessons with equal monthly payments. Actual number of lessons taught is 34)
Tuition is $73.00, $109.50, and $146 for 30, 45 and 60 minute lessons per month. There are 3 make up lessons build into the tuition fees. There are no further make up lessons unless the circumstances warrant it.
Please read carefully as these policies state how my studio and teaching time is structured.
Lessons start Sept. 9, 2019 and run weekly to June 26, 2020
- I am teaching on all Pro-D days throughout the year
- No lessons on statutory holidays and during School Breaks
- No regular lessons during: ( extraordinary Lesson times can be arranged )
- Fall Break
- Winter Vacation
- 1 week vacation in winter (tba)
- Spring Break
- Summer Holidays
My thoughts for the coming year:
My goals for the year are:
- To encourage everyone to develop life-long skills and see individual improvement and growth through music
My expectations are:
- For everyone to try: Try to practice, try to learn the new skills, try to participate in performances. There is no failure. I don’t give grades. I don’t keep score on how many mistakes somebody makes. I want everyone to try and grow in their abilities.
My music teachers encouraged and supported me and taught me important life skills. It was my personal choice much later in life to make music into a career. Every student is different, but everyone will learn something if they try.
Performances and Exams:
My main objective for a performance is to help students develop life skills! We all need to deal with the pressure, nerves, the public and the ups and downs of being in the spotlight every once in a while. This skill is transferable to many other situations. Again, I’d like to see students try!!
I offer the option of taking music exams in voice, piano and theory through the Conservatory Canada and the Royal Conservatory of Canada Curriculum. Both programs have different options for the exam path.
Invoicing and payment:
Invoices are emailed at the end of each month and payment is due upon receipt of the invoice.
I accept cash, cheque, e-transfer, paypal and credit card payments.
There is an option to set up autopayment through the student portal.
All Online Lessons are pre-paid only.
- 3 ring binder with lined paper for instructions and homework assignments, pencil and eraser
- I offer online notes as well which can be viewed on a computer, tablet or smartphone
- Online lessons require additional equipment which I will let you know about when you sign up
- Music Books, CD’s, MP3 recordings, Karaoke as needed, tbd in class
- Participation in Festivals and Exams
- Accompanist charges for singers or instrumentalists at festivals and exams
- Canadian copyright laws require that all music used in the studio is legal; that means you have to purchase a copy of all music for yourself or your child.
Cancellation notice is 24 hours. There will be a regular charge for insufficient notice. I do not charge in case of emergencies or sickness. Please call, text or e-mail me and let me know.
Termination of Lessons:
Termination of lessons requires ONE month written notice, or payment of ONE monthly fee.
Students are expected to practice. The more time is spent practicing the greater the improvement. I will explain to each student how to practice during the lessons. Parents need to help younger students.
- Please be ready for the lesson 5 minutes early so we can start on time.
- Parents are welcome and encouraged to sit in on their child’s lessons.
I enter students in competitions and organize recitals and performances. Pictures can be taken according to the event rules only.
I do post pictures on my website, Facebook, Instagram and Linkedin occasionally and I am asking permission from you to do so.
I am very careful what I post, but it is social media.
I do not give out private information.
Please let me know if you DO NOT want your child's picture on Social Media
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I am looking forward to a musical year.
Performances in the Park - My seven year stint
Sunday, August 25, 2019 by Angela Sommer | Uncategorized
It has been a great pleasure and privilege to organize this event over the last seven years. I am looking forward to seeing where the new organizer will take the event.
Thank you Central Cariboo Arts and Culture Society for all the support.
Thank you Williams Lake Tribune for the great advertising and coverage that was provided for the event.
Thank you Cariboo Country for supporting our event all these years.
More great news for students at Angelkeys Music Studio
Wednesday, June 26, 2019 by Angela Sommer | Uncategorized
In addition to the scholarships for Gotta Sing / Gotta Dance, Cassius also received a bursary of $200 for winning Junior Musical Theatre at Performing Arts BC Provincials.